Not one of my favorite movies, but there is this one theme that runs throughout that struck me today.
The reporter in the movie is trying to figure out why this lady keeps leaving men at the altar. He goes around interviewing her past fiancee's and trying to get some insight. One question he asks each of them, "How does she like her eggs?" They each have a same, but different answer. "Just like me..." and then they fill in some style of eggs.
Today I was thinking about this... who am I, really? What do I know about myself, what do I believe, what do I like or dislike, and why?
I guess I never spent much time figuring that out as a kid, young adult, or into my adult married life.
So... Here's my bullet point list about ME!
- I like cats, in theory. I do not like them peeing in the house, the litter box thing, or their aloof personalities... but I think they are soft and fluffy and I like when they purr. I don't want a cat.
- I think our dog speaks my language. I think I know what she is thinking, too and I often put that into words to translate for the rest of the family. She is big, soft, fluffy and makes me feel safe when I am home alone.
- I like the "idea" of sushi. I thought I liked it, but I really don't like the seaweed wrappers. I like the clear rice paper wrappers or the football shaped rice with the flat shrimp on top, but only if I have seafood sauce to dip them in.
- I don't like sports on TV. I can get into just about any sport live, but on TV... no thanks.
- I am scared I will screw up my black babies' hair and will be rebuked by some awesome-hair-doing black woman in public.
- I like silver better than gold, but I can't bring myself to dip my gold wedding bands in silver because I think it takes some of the sentiment out of it.
- I have recently gone from "you look too young to have 4 kids..." to no-comment... therefore, I must now look old enough to have 4 (almost 7) kids. I dislike that. Immensely.
- I bought an assorted box of chocolates because I like chocolate... but then poked holes in the bottom of most of them because I really only like the coconut filled ones and there was only one in the whole box.
- I have FIG. Food Induced Guilt. Guilt over not packing my kids' lunches, guilt over feeding them some convenience thing for breakfast or dinner, guilt over not knowing what's for dinner every night for the next week, guilt over not having more vegetables on the menu, guilt over not making my own bread, and guilt over buying pizza or drive-thru food whenever that happens.
- I hate laundry. I hate washing it, I hate drying it, I hate folding it, I hate ironing, I hate putting it away. If there was one chore I could outsource for the rest of my life - I would gladly clean toilets, scrub tubs, vacuum, wash dishes, mop floors... but someone please invent disposable clothing!!
- I love coffee!
- My husband is my "beauty from ashes" story. He makes me happy when I am sad, knows me better than I know myself and still loves me! He takes care of me and makes me yummy dinners. He is an amazing, award-winning, world-traveling chef and I am so proud of his accomplishments - big and small! He amazes me and I love him!
- We celebrate our 15th anniversary this summer and I am hoping we can celebrate it with an authentic Ethiopian coffee ceremony in Addis Ababa while we pick up our kids!
- I like jeans and sweaters. I like jeans and t-shirts. I do not like shorts. I look funny in capris. I don't enjoy wearing swimsuits. I own approximately 3 dresses and maybe 4 skirts.
- I move furniture around when I clean. I mean, completely re-organize the whole room. If I am cleaning when you go to bed, you should turn on a light when you wake up or you may trip over a couch.
- I like to read, but I am easily distracted and need quiet. I sometimes wish for a long airplane ride so that I can finish a book!
- My favorite color is navy blue.
- I eat gluten-free.
- I miss my old job working in special-education at the elementary school. I miss my little friends who made me crazy, but made me laugh too.
- I can't wait to be a stay-at-home mom again.
- I often wish I would be a more "fun" mom.
- I don't like to cook, but I love to bake.
- My favorite feature about myself - my eyes. I like that they are blue some days, green other days, never make me feel fat or short, never need much special attention, and since they are different than most... they make me feel special sometimes!
- I think I would like living on a lot of acres, with chickens and a cow.
- I believe that while all of these things describe me and my personality, my true identity comes from Christ and in Him I am forgiven, wonderfully made, precious, and treasured! It just doesn't get any better than that.