Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ewedeshaloh, baby girl.

Things are happening around here.

Of the things I have loved most since the day we met our babies,
I have loved hearing them speak together in their native language.

I have loved hearing their songs - sung in Wolaytinga and Amharic
(but I won't pretend that I know which is which.).

I have loved trying to use the Amharic words from the
list we received in Addis Ababa from Holt.

I have enjoyed teasing them by intentionally mixing up words... like
Wahtet - milk or Wooshah - dog.
Sometimes I hand LB a cup of milk and say "Wooshah?"
and smile when she gives me that look like
 "Mom, you are so crazy!"

These things are coming to an end.

I can't stop it, no matter how hard I try to use the Amharic I learned.
I can't stop it by demanding they use Amharic, or the blended tongue they use.

But more and more I hear things like this:
"Mommy, no all-done tegna." as she yawns - telling me she wasn't ready to get up from her late nap.
"Mommy, E dat wooshah's bela?"  (Is that the dog's food?)
"Look, Mommy - Wooshah tegna sofa!" (Look Mom, the dog is sleeping on the couch!)

Now I hear Barney songs instead of many of the songs we loved hearing them sing for the past several weeks.

And while it may not seem like full-on English...
I know it's coming.
Like most things in raising children... the time goes by too fast!
We have only been home something like 7 weeks!

I'm not ready to let go of the Ethiopia in my babies just yet.

I wish they could keep their language forever.

I wish they could grow up bi-lingual in a tongue that is rarely heard in America.
I wish they could go back to Ethiopia some day as adults and be able to communicate and feel comfortable in their home land.

So for now, I will tuck you in with "Ewedeshaloh, baby girl! I love you!"

Ewedeshaloh babies!

Mommy loves you so much!
Reading a book while in Ethiopia.



Baby Boy and his kissy lips!



Sweet baby girl!

3 comments:

  1. I cannot fathom how hard it is to see your children's native tongue start to diminish in front of your eyes...but what you've written here has definitely shined a light on it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...oh, and the pics are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your littles are absolutely adorable! I completely understand even though Ty came home with very little language.

    He actually has a wart on his finger that was even seen on his referral photos. I still can't bring myself to get rid of it, because I feel like it's the very last thing he has left from Ethiopia.

    Take lots of videos of those songs and dances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chrissy, just the small little thing that I am trying to hold on to while we communicate with Tenaye. I lOVE how she says the color orange while slightly rolling her "R's". The colors "blue" and "black" that come out Bee-lue and Bee-lack. Love it and will try to hang on to these precious words FOREVER!!

    ReplyDelete

Drama-free comment zone: